Canceling school is a complicated decision that affects students, staff and families. Some students rely on the school district for breakfast and lunch, and canceling school may also cause some families hardships related to finding childcare. Canceling, delaying, or early dismissal of school are actions taken only in extreme situations; and we do everything we can to keep schools open.
The Administration continually monitors the forecast and the Superintendent confers with town officials and administrators in order to make the best decision for students, staff, and families. Decisions are based on criteria related to the safety and well-being of students and staff.
Making the Decision
The decision for opening, closing, or delaying of the schools is based on relevant factors such as:
- Department of Public Works/Police Information — DPW and/or Police advise on road conditions. (Careful consideration must be given to all roads. Even if your street looks clear, travel elsewhere may be dangerous.)
- Prediction of Severe Weather and/or Current Snow and Ice Accumulations — The Administration carefully and continually monitors weather conditions and forecasts.
- Building Condition Advice — Maintenance and custodial staff members advise on building conditions, and the clearing/treating of school parking lots and sidewalks.
We make every attempt to notify families as soon as possible via:
- Automated Phone Calls — One Call Now notification system;
- Online — SEBRSD website updates;
- TV News Stations — FOX25 News, WCVB Channel 5, Channel 7 News, Channel 4 WBZ, and New England Cable News (NECN).
Parents can help by making sure their contact information, as well as emergency contact information, is regularly updated with their child’s school.
- Cancel School — Cancellation is for all student classes. All after-school student activities and events are canceled unless specifically stated. All student-based event sponsored by SEBRSD will be canceled unless specifically stated.
- Late Start or Early Dismissal — These options are only used during emergencies because they have significant impact on transportation and child care. We will notify families as early as possible.
- Cancel After-School Activities — When conditions become severe during the day, SEBRSD may cancel after-school activities. Every effort will be made to have notifications sent out ASAP. All after-school student activities and all events are canceled unless specifically stated. The Before-and-After School Program will be canceled. Athletic events are canceled unless specifically stated. Outside events using SEBRSD facilities are canceled.