TO: SEBRSD Community
FROM: Superintendent Paul S. Haughey, Ed.D.
DATE: March 12, 2020
RE: Protocol for District-Based Events
The core mission of the Spencer-East Brookfield Regional School District is to provide a high-quality education for all students.
SEBRSD staff continue to closely monitor the situation regarding the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) while working with partner agencies to ensure we are providing our community with accurate and timely information.
Effective today, March 12, 2020, until further notice, the following conditions will be put into place in order to continue to provide a high-quality education for all students:
This is a difficult decision, as we know many of you have been looking forward to these events. All upcoming school and district related gatherings are canceled until further notice. This includes events where students, staff, parents, and outside community members come together in close proximity to one another. Specific upcoming events that are now canceled include:
- All field trips
- All school dances; including prom
- All senior activities
- Professional Development outside of the District
- School open houses
- All school performances; including the high school play production
- All after school extracurricular activities
To the extent possible, and in an effort to limit the exposure in our community, the following restrictions are now in place:
- Visitors will not be permitted on school grounds during the school day.
- Only authorized vendors will be allowed onsite.
- Outside rentals of SEBRSD facilities will be canceled until further notice. Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis for groups that serve only SEBRSD students.
At this time, the Massachusetts Department of Health currently is not recommending closing schools. If a staff member or student in a specific school is confirmed to have COVID-19, the Superintendent and local public health officials will consider, based on the specific facts and circumstances of that case, whether closure of that school is warranted. The Public Health Department is not recommending school closures at this time because individuals under 18 years of age have not been shown to be a high-risk group for serious illness from this virus. Should the Public Health Department determine a school closure is warranted, the duration is likely to be the length of time needed to conduct cleaning protocols and determine readmission criteria.
We will be suspending all instructional and extracurricular activities in the event of a school closure.
Home Study Materials
Please be informed that we do not have the capacity to provide instructional support for well students who stay at home. If a student has extenuating health circumstances, please contact your site administrator to identify appropriate next steps.
Health Guidelines Remain the Same
The same simple steps that prevent the spread of ordinary flu viruses work against COVID-19 and other illnesses.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cough into a tissue or your elbow (not your hand). Then throw tissue away and wash hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Keep students home if temperature is above 100.0 F (37.8 C) or they report not feeling well, appear weak or ill.
- Consult your health care provider if you or your child has special health conditions that put you at increased risk.
The school district will continue to monitor the situation and keep you informed through a variety of communication methods including OneCallNow, the district website and social media outlets employed by the school district.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact my office. As always, thank you.for your partnership and support of the Spencer-East Brookfield Regional School District! #Progress #Unity #Knowledge